Municipality: Santisteban del Puerto
Regions: Condado de Jaén
Altitude: 598.459 m
This turret, dating from the second half of the 13th century, faces the River Guadalimar. It is in the town of Santisteban del Puerto, right on the border with Navas de San Juan and marks its boundary. Due to its strategic location overlooking vast olive groves, it was used to send signals to people in other castles.
This rural, rectangular-based turret was built using small masonry bricks and has bedchambers on two floors.
On the ground floor, one can enter the castle through a small gothic style door. The first thing we find is a small room with a rip vaulted roof. From here, up a half spiral staircase built within the wall, one can reach the rooftop terrace where there are several loopholes.
Ero Turret is part of a defensive system set up in the surroundings of Santisteban del Puerto after King Ferdinand II The Saint conquered the town in 1226. In addition to the Ero Turret, a number of fortified enclosures were built such as Torre Alver or Poyato.